How to Disable Mediabuttons and use the regular F1-F12 keys

D

DJAW95

Heey everyone!

I have been struggling to use my F1-F12 keys as the buttons were set to default on mediasettings.

This meant that in my case, F1 would mute/unmute, F2 would lower the volume etc.

Now I like to play some games in which the F1-F12 keys are very important so of course this stressed me out. Especially since I could not find a solution. I tried several, SHIFT + FN, FN + ESC. FN + CAPSLOCK and they all didn't work.

I saw some threads that said I could change it in the BIOS. Guess what?! I had a different BIOS in which it didn't work! After chatting with HP tech-care it came to the conclusion I had to buy a new keyboard myself which, of course, I didn't like after spending over €1000,- on a pc + monitor. So I ventured in the darkest corners of the internet (no just kidding, just googled and googled and googled).

AND I FOUND A SOLUTION! So if you have experienced the problem and tried all options mentioned above without success, LOOK NO FURTHER!

Ill go to this in a step-by-step solution:

1. Google AutoHotKey and download the software (might look sketchy but I dont see any problem with the software).

2. Install it

3. Go to your desktop and right-click -> new -> AutoHotKey Script (give it a name, make sure the name ends in ".ahk")

4. Right click the icon on your desktop and click "Edit script"

5. Use the following script (just copy paste it to start with)

; F1 key by default, Fn+F1 is now Play/Pause

MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE::F1

F1::MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE

; F2 key by default, Fn+F2 is now Mute/Unmute

VOLUME_MUTE::F2

F2::VOLUME_MUTE

; F3 key by default, Fn+F3 is now Volume Down

VOLUME_DOWN::F3

F3::VOLUME_DOWN

; F4 key by default, Fn+F4 is now Volume Up

VOLUME_UP::F4

F4::VOLUME_UP

; F5 key by default, Fn+F5 is now Media Prev

Media_Prev::F5

F5::Media_Prev

6. I only needed these 5 keys so I stopped there. NOTE: these are my settings on my keyboard, you will have to link it to the media button, so this only works if your F1-F5 were attributed this way, if mute and volume down are switched for example, make sure this is switched in the script as well. Below is a list with the possible media buttons that are assigned to your F1-F12 keys.

Browser_Back Back
Browser_Forward Forward
Browser_Refresh Refresh
Browser_Stop Stop
Browser_Search Search
Browser_Favorites Favorites
Browser_Home Homepage
Volume_Mute Mute the volume
Volume_Down Lower the volume
Volume_Up Increase the volume
Media_Next Next Track
Media_Prev Previous Track
Media_Stop Stop
Media_Play_Pause Play/Pause
Launch_Mail Launch default e-mail program
Launch_Media Launch default media player
Launch_App1 Launch My Computer
Launch_App2 Launch Calculator

7. Save the file (just press "save" , not "save as") and close it.

8. Double click the icon on your desktop.

9. PROFIT! You can now use your regular F1-FXX buttons, however you mapped them!

I hope it helped you and that you found this solution without raising your bloodpressure in anger :)

Cheers!

Continue reading...