Win 7 shuts down before my PC's virus/security scanning-removing app completes the scan

J

JohnS0603

MS Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

How can I control my Win 7 OS so that it stops interrupting my running of virus/security scans and shuts the system down?

About a year ago, my Win 7 OS surprised me with a new behavior: After a finite number of minutes, it goes into either Sleep mode or Hibernate mode, thereby stopping any security scanning that might be underway. I don't know how to control the time-before-stopping, but I know that I used to run scans, and they would finish without being interrupted by Windows's idea of enough time. I have used MS Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 and earlier Windows versions before Win 7, and I know that the user once had control over the sleep or hibernate action of Windows.

It's possible that one day I modified some default setting, in some obscure place, and that if I could reverse such action that would fix my problem.

I depend upon Verizon Internet Security Suite Multi-Device [McAfee] 16.0 R14 and Malwarebytes Free 3.6.1.2711. I used to operate with Norton Anti-Virus and other Norton apps/features. Most of the time but not all the time, the Malwarebytes app can complete before Win 7 interrupts it, and usually the McAfee app's Quick Scan can complete; but I have stopped trying to run the McAfee app's Full Scan. (The McAfee app cropped up when my landlord converted from an earlier ISP service to Verizon FiOS service.)

My big obstacle is computer-muscle: This machine only has a single-core processor CPU.

My second-major obstacle is financial. Therefore, forget about my buying another PC, or buying a more advanced OS, or buying a more advanced Microsoft Office suite, etc.

1. Where should I search for a setting that might be causing this problem?
  2. Was Win 7 modified in the recent past in ways which would cause this problem to crop up?
  3. Are there any command-level or shell switches in Win 7 that might be worth exploring? I have had some experience with making such changes, and they turned out successfully.

Thank you!!

JohnS0603

Related info:

Acer Aspire 5532 Laptop, new November 2009
AMD Athlon 64-bit TF-20 (1.6GHz) processor
3.0Gb RAM
160Gb Hard Drive
ATI Radeon HD3200 Graphics Adapter
Atheros AR5B93 Wireless Network Adapter​

Windows Firewall and Microsoft Windows Defender are turned off. I don't use the Aero-3D features.​

PC is using a second monitor; a regular printer; a wireless mouse; and a wireless keyboard​

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom