Connection resets on certain websites, how do I fix?

D

deadreets

I didn't touch my computer throughout Winter Break, when I got back I noticed that some websites wouldn't connect. Temp fix is to spam refresh until it reaches the page. Laptop is a Dell XPS 15 (2017), running regular Windows 10.

Problem:

Certain websites will display a "connection reset / could not securely reach website" error. The error is consistent throughout Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Internet Explorer. It's always the same website and time doesn't fix it. I found that spamming the refresh button fixes the problem temporarily. The website pings and is traced successfully but is not connected to. The problem is only on my laptop, other devices are unaffected which leads me to believe it's an OS issue.

Attempted unsuccessful fixes:

- Firewall. Turned it off, added websites to trusted, checked if there's a proxy, checked blocked list. Firewall does not seem to be the problem.

- Internet Options. Messed around for like an hour, checked if there's something preventing connections, cleared IP list or something through the command prompt. Doesn't seem like internet settings are the problem.

- Updating drivers. Updated drivers, no fix, though I will note that a network adapter had an orange triangle for a little bit but it just went away(?).

- Running Support Assist (Dell's 'tuneup/cleaning' service)

I tried everything I could find online expect cmd prompt stuff.

I would appreciate any help and will provide any other required details. Thank you so much!!

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom