Windows 10: Text and fonts disappear from drop down menus, taskbar, explorer, and any text-editing software

A

AndrewTumang

I've had this issue for several months now and have been managing by restarting my laptop every time. Frequently, whenever I open programs like Microsoft Word or Excel, or try to edit text in Adobe Photoshop, virtually all text from Windows disappears and it's impossible for me to use almost any text editing tools.

It seems like the issue is that whatever is in charge of handling text display and loading fonts in programs is crashing. My reasoning is that I can open and load Photoshop perfectly fine, but when I try to load a file with text in it, try to edit that text, or try to add text via the text tool, the issue comes up again (Edit: I was able to replicate this on Paint as well, so it does seem to occur whenever I try to load fonts). Meanwhile, programs like Word or Excel, which rely on loading and displaying fonts from the OS cause the issue immediately upon opening. In programs like Paint or Notepad, I can still type things, but it seems to use some default font and it is impossible to load any other font. Text in Chrome and in the Start Menu on the other hand work perfectly fine, which I assume is because they handle text display on their own.

Edit: I should note that I also have Japanese as a language via Microsoft IME. Is it possible there are some fonts from it that these programs aren't able to load?

I've already formatted my drive and did a clean reinstall of Windows 10 via USB in hopes that it would maybe fix the problem but it did not. Since reinstalling Windows didn't fix it, I thought it might be an issue with my graphics driver, but that's been updated and nothing changed. I would like to get this fixed ASAP as it really ruins my workflow when almost all text from the system is gone and I have to restart my computer to bring it back.

My computer details are:

CPU: Intel Core -5-4200U

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4400

8GB RAM

Here are several photos that show the issue and hopefully might give an idea as to what is going wrong with Windows:
63cf6330-cb09-413e-9d7e-934963ce30e6?upload=true.png
fe66bb6b-cc04-4907-8ca4-4243c06becf1?upload=true.png

d1a6a90b-fa49-46fe-9933-39044c6d9c7a?upload=true.png

9c4420bd-5ad5-46c6-947c-7a7adbb97ca1?upload=true.png

Continue reading...