Ever since installing chrome as the default browser Mailto can't be set to Outlook

J

jmosk

The Mailto protocol in control panel / default programs / associate file types has been changed to ChromeHTML. But when trying to change this, the only mail program displayed is Chrome. Outlook is not a choice. So I am stuck with mailto links going to gmail.

If I go to Set your default programs, Outlook (I user version 2010) is not listed at all.

If I log off windows and log in under a different user which has not set Chrome as the default browser, the mailto links do go to Outlook.

Before making Chrome the default browser, Mailto links all properly went to Outlook but now I can't put it back.

Using the General option in Outlook to make Outlook the default email client - does nothing. In fact the link to Default Programs next to the set as default email client option, does nothing.

Trying to repair Office using the change option of the control panel Programs and Features - does nothing. No repair is initiated.

I know I have a problem with Microsoft Word crashing when attempting to load other software if I select the Review option. In paying for Microsoft assistance to fix this problem, they attempted to install a newer version of Office but it stated the old version needed to be removed first. But the uninstall option did not work. So they were not able to fix this problem which is probably associated with repair not working either. Microsoft support wanted Window 7 to be reinstalled then install Office again. This was not an option given the hundreds of other programs that would potentially be lost in reinstalling windows.

There must be a way through the registry to change the Mailto protocol setting back to Outlook instead of it pointing to ChromeHTML.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom