BSOD crashes on new Windows 10 setup

• Thread starter SeanRobertKelly
  • Start date
S

SeanRobertKelly

Hello,

I have been getting nowhere today having finally built my new pc this week, I have installed Windows 10 from a formatted USB and activated it using a key purchased online, in the process of setting up essential programs, i.e. chrome, antivirus (in this case Avast), trying to run updates and install my drivers from discs provided, it has worked initially then begun to have blue screen crashes. Eventually in the process of trying to solve it these crashes became so frequent I ended up in a boot loop situation, having tried to repair it with both sfc scannow and the automatic repair during the boot loop sequence (both completely helpless). Eventually I decided the only remaining option was a clean reinstall, having only just set up the thing I didn't exactly have anything to back up. This provided me with some optimism, the reinstall went smoothly and, having only got round to installing the driver for my usb wi-fi dongle first time round, I made sure to install the driver for my Asus motherboard, the one for my dongle again, and the one for my Gigabyte graphics card, using the discs provided. I was in the process of trying to complete this with further windows updates and downloading any updates more recent than the discs from the driver sites, but before long I wound up in the same situation again, eventually ending up in a boot loop again, with pretty much the same mixture of BSOD errors.

I had a look here, having come across it on my search for help: Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Codes — Decoded! - I came across most of not all the errors I noted down here, a mixture of errors that are (according to youtube help videos) pretty common errors and a few errors described on here as "uncommon". Many of my errors seem to relate to KMODE/Kernel mode issues, judging by the causes listed for these various errors and the scan results I got using Avast, it's either an issue with the registry (Avast came up with several errors relating to HKEY and specifically HKEY LOCAL MACHINE registry errors), an issue with memory, a problem with a driver or a combination of these. I am hoping it isn't a hardware issue, I ran the memory diagnostic with the first Windows setup and it didn't detect any issues, which I guess is a good thing, though it would make my life a lot easier if it were just a case of replacing a faulty ram input.

Here is my setup:

Asus TUF B450-PLUS GAMING motherboard

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 CPU

Gigabyte Radeon RX 560 Gaming 8G graphics card

Gigabyte SSD M.2 2280 PCIe x2

Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 2 x 8GB 3200MHz RAM

EVGA Supernova 750 G3 power supply

I am new to building and came up with this setup with a friend who knows his stuff about building, specs etc. The building part was fun and rewarding, I had issues but managed to solve them, but today with the software/driver error issues I have just been going round in circles. I should add I had to wait a few weeks to actually start building this, as I had to send back my CPU and motherboard due to it not dropping into the AM4 slot properly. The CPU was sent back as they found no errors, they replaced the Asus motherboard. I went into the BIOS too and checked everything over, everything seems fine, the only thing that seemed necessary was altering the RAM frequency to match what I ordered (I changed it from auto to 3200).

Here is a list of the errors I managed to write down, as between the two install attempts of Windows, I had the same with each i.e. it alternating between the various BSOD errors, it giving me so many error messages makes it a bit difficult for me to diagnose what the issue is (This first lot is from post-its so roughly in order and I think most of these just came up during the first installation):

DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
one mentioned an issue with system\32\ntoskrnl.exe, giving the error numbers 0xc0000221 and 0xc000021a

another mentioned an issue with drivers/vmbus.sys with the error code 0xc0000221

another gave me the numbers 0x1900101 and 0x20017 with the error INSTALLATION FAILED IN THE SAFE OS_PHASE

Here are the rest of the errors I noted down, which occurred in both. At the moment I am also having "CRITICAL PROCESS DIED" and this is probably the most common I am getting at the moment along with "SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION" (In no particular order):

NON PAGE ERROR

CRITICAL PROCESS DIED

IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL

0X800736CC

SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION

VMBUS ERROR

PFN LIST CORRUPT

KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

KERNEL SECURITY CHECK ERROR

PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA

ATTEMPTED EXECUTE OF NO EXECUTE MEMORY

That and as I said Avast came up with several issues with the HKEY registry. Sorry for the wall of text but I wanted to be thorough, especially as I am in the situation again of not being able to log in to Windows on there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sean

Continue reading...