I can't access any adminstrator settings or access safe mode at the least anymore. help :(

G

Gaderic

I'll start from the beginning because I feel defeated on all counts and attempts to fix my issue.

I was trying to launch origin so I could try and play a game but origin wouldn't start nor show any activity in task manager. I tried to open up event viewer to see if there are any useful error logs. This is where the downward slope begins... to my surprise I had a message "This app has been blocked for your protection". I don't see why considering it's a windows administrator tool. None the less, I couldn't access any administrator tools like the mmc or services.msc unless I started a cmd prompt as administrator and then executed it from there. However, this was the only way I could start anything as an administrator. A little googling seemed to conclude this had something to do with smart screen but that ended in nowhere.

I decided to check my user permissions and sure enough my main user is an administrator. I experimented by removing my user from the administrator group which made it so I could open up stuff like mmc but nothing showed up since I was no longer one. At this point I couldn't open anything as an administrator anymore; even cmd itself. So now I just want to change my user back to an admin so I figure why not boot into safe mode and try recovering some things. I tried a restore point that was 2 days old but...now it won't boot into windows. It just says "trying automatic repair" over and over when It ry to boot and then says windows couldn't start correctly so either restart or try some of the other recovery options. I can't even access safe mode now at the least. All I can effectively do is access the recovery command prompt which I am currently using to copy my files over to a 3tb HDD before I try a windows reset (if that will even work).

I don't have a windows recovery usb which would probably work wonders right about now so I'm asking you folks if there is anything else you could recommend I should try before I copy over 1.3 TB worth of data and reset. Thank you for reading my plight.

specs I can recall:

OEM: CyberPower Tracer II
CPU: i7-7700HQ 2.8GHz
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
RAM: Crucial 16GB DDR4 2133MHz
Storage: Samsung 1TB 860 EVO SSD (OS drive) and some other 256GB m.2 SSD I can't remember who made

Continue reading...