When 4k displays on display port go standby or power down, the 1024x786 simulated displays mess up all window locations of my programs and desktop ico

M

McBrown83

When 4k displays on display port go standby or power down, the 1024x786 simulated displays mess up all window locations of my programs and desktop icons.

The Problem

Hi, in short the title should be sufficient to explain what's going on. However there's more going on.

Apparently Windows 10, or the drivers, creates multiple profiles for each display scenario. This messes up the registry quite a bit and it causes a lot overhead, since I have no clue which profiles are actually being used. After some studying, I'm beginning to understand why it works this way and in a way it actually makes a lot of sense. Programs can keep running as if they still have a display and there is less traffic over the physical cables.

However...

It's totally mismatched. my current profile should exist of two 4k displays (3840x2160) and those should be equally simulated, to prevent distortions of the windows, it keeps squashing all my windows into the top corner of the primary display. And it's a very time consuming task to put them back where I want them.

Cry for help!

please tell me there is a fix for this or even an 3rd party app that can resolve this.

Screenshot

Below is a screenshot of my (very messy) registry and the display configuration profiles.

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration\

15bb4563-1632-468e-ac4f-60faac462178?upload=true.png

Related

Display (2×)

LG 27UD88W (up to date firmware)

Graphics card

EVGA Geforce 1070 FTW (up to date drivers)

Operation system

Edition: Windows 10 Pro

Version: 1803

OS build: 17134.648

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom