win7 64 bit iso to usb from win7 32 bit os.

C

chrisrul8

so far, it seems im the only one that cant do this...

lets try and list what i have done so far...

one fresh blank harddrive. 64 bit capable processor/board. was running 32.

microsoft, verify key, download 64 bit iso.

download win usb toll thingy.

doesnt finish, whines about "bootsect.exe".

got bootsect from online. (also tried the same file as extracted from an old 32 bit installation disc... no luck or i wouldnt be here!)

poke it into the folder containing the windows tool. isnt that fun to do when windows explorer keeps crashing and wont actually open! (thankyou linux for letting me do that)

usb tool completes.

yay.

right.

restart, load from usb-hdd.

nothing. a flashing cursor in the top LH corner.

load from CD?

flashing cursor at bottom LH corner.

nothing else.

lets try rufus...

its working! windows is starting!

start install, blah blah.

expanding files, 1%... ooh! ooh!

files missing or corrupt.

cheers. thanks for that.

so, i have done various things with varying degrees of success, but that is the furthest i have gotten. either a flashing cursor when created from the windows tool, or "corrupt files" when created via rufus.

last night i even got "windows cannot read the disks on this computer". thats a first. ive had "cant find bootx64.efi" and a whole horde of other things, but so far.... 1% done, corrupt is the furthest i have gotten.

oh, what was another error? windows cannot boot to this drive, make sure its selected in settings... so i changed boot order all to HD and that one went away...

i have been able to try various HD formats via linux, nope... no dfference if its fat32 or ntfs. noone really wants to say definitely which formatting you actually require anyway. they just ramble on about something unrelated instead. often ducks enter the equation....

oh, and now... i return to microsoft, you know, maybe i will retry that download overnight instead because my internet sucks and i had to restart that download at least ten times... and the key no longer will verify, instead i get a message like this.

We encountered a problem with your request.

Please visit Microsoft Support Contact Us page for assistance.

Refer to Message Code 715-123130 and Transaction ID

75b1759e-ef3c-4be0-84bb-2c22fc9cb1ab.

of course, dont bother trying that "contact us" link, it just takes you to a bot-chat that is utterly useless.

seriously, why is this so seemingly difficult, yet they are trying to force us over to 64 bit?

or what the hell am i doing wrong because so far i have tried every method outlined in all these online tutorials with no success.

last option is to try it from an actual dvd this time rather than usb.

i recall trying this back when win10 upgrade was free, without ever getting past that bootsect.exe issue if i recall correctly. just installed linux. instead...

well, now it appears that i have to run 64bit. i have no choice.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom