Re-activating Windows after Hardware Change

A

Al Angst

I have a genuine copy of Windows 10 Professional-forced upgrade from Genuine (and paid for) Windows 7 Professional. This was checked using slmgr /xpr. There is no product key but a digital license through a linked account. I have upgraded my hardware by replacing the motherboard, CPU, RAM and Graphics card and installing a M2.nVme drive. I then used Samsung’s utility to ‘clone’ the C: drive (120GB SSD with 98GB used) to the 500GB M2 drive. The original OCZ 120 GB SSD is still in the case but disconnected. That's my ‘back up’ if the M2 falters. The rest of the old hardware is in a box in a cupboard. Most of it is more than 10 years old so has little value now.

I have used the Windows Activation Troubleshooter 'I changed Hardware on this device recently'. It has listed my system but when I select it and click 'Activate' I get 'Unable to Activate Windows. We can't activate windows on this device. Try again later.' I have tried several times over a period of hours but without success. Is this just in the hope that I will give up and pay again for something I already own? What can I do to re-activate my installation?

Old system:

Motherboard: Abit Fatality motherboard

CPU: Intel Q6600 2.4Ghz quad core

RAM: Strontium 4GB DDR2

Graphics: Asus Radeon 6950

Windows bootable Hard Drive: OCZ 120GB SSD

Coolermaster Case and 850Watt Power Supply

New System:

Motherboard: Asrok Fatality x470 Gamers K4

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz Hex core

RAM: 16GB DDR4 (G Skill Trident Z RGB

Graphics: Radeon RX580 (Asus Strix OC 8G)

Windows Bootable Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB M2.nVme SSD

All mounted in the same Coolermaster case and 850 Watt Power Supply.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom