Win 10 build 1809 keeps changing network profiles from "domain network" to "unidentified public" ON ITS OWN!!!! HELP!!!!

L

LynnWithrow

Hi, We are in the process of phasing in new computers in our company, replacing our existing Windows 7 Pro PC's with Windows 10 Pro PC's. All our computers (all are towers, NOT laptops, BTW) use static IP addresses assigned during setup, and the primary DNS points first to the domain controller. I'm using Win 10 build 1809 on the new computers. Installed Windows, set the static IP, gateway and DNS of the PC, then joined the new PC to the domain and added domain user account with admin privileges (so I could install software and finish setup). All seems well at first, as the Network and Sharing Center on each new PC reports the network type as a Domain network. I can see the other computers in the AD domain after turning on network discovery and file and printer sharing. HOWEVER - with no apparent reason why this happened, I can pause the setup to do another task, and when I return to the new PC's, I find that the Network and Sharing Center now reports that each new PC is on an UNIDENTIFIED PUBLIC network, and that network discovery and file and printer sharing is turned off. I cannot see the other computers in the AD domain at all. The domain controller still reports that the new PC is an AD domain member, but the new PC itself doesn't seem to know that. Every one of these new computers is doing this.

I'm not having any problems getting to the Internet on any of these new computers. But this is getting EXTREMELY ANNOYING, as I need to copy files from the Windows 7 PC's to the new Windows 10 PC's, and I don't want to have to do that via external hard drives. I want to do this via our network (we have Ethernet with a multi-port Cisco managed switch capable of 1 GB speeds), but when the file sharing keeps getting turned OFF, that is a HUGE PROBLEM.

I have tried removing each new PC from the AD domain and then re-adding it. It seems to function correctly only for a short period before the network type "reverts" to UNIDENTIFIED PUBLIC, completely on its own, without my changing any settings. I have reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled Windows on a couple of them, thinking that something went squirrelly and that a reinstall might fix it. I've gone to Powershell and manually reset the network category, over and over and over, but it simply will NOT stay fixed. NOTHING has fixed this problem - and I've spent a lot of time on Google looking for answers. I'm wondering if it's another strange bug in build 1809.

Does ANYONE have any idea what might be happening? And what I can do about it? I've been an IT pro for over 35 years now, and have NEVER seen a Windows installation/setup go squirrelly like these are.

If it makes any difference, these are all new custom-built computers with AMD Ryzen processors on AM4 motherboards. I can post more detailed specs if anyone needs these. Our domain is a Windows 2008 R2 domain (the server itself will also be replaced later this year with a new custom-built server with a new server OS. We plan to migrate the domain from the existing server to the new server once we have it up and running.).

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom