BSODs when Gaming after Power Outage

D

Drobot432

I recently had a power outage, and I can't remember if my computer was off or asleep at the time. Anyway, a day or so after the outage I wanted to play a game, and everything was fine up until I started playing it. I was walking around in game and about 30 seconds after I spawned in the game my computer gave me a BSOD for Memory Management. I restarted my PC and launched the game again and it gave me the same error.

I though it might have been a game bug, so I tried a different game and got a different BSOD for Page Fault in Nonpaged Area. Now I started to worry so I opened up CMD and ran chkdsk C: /f /r ... test came back clean. I ran the memory diagnostic tool and it said that there was indeed memory issues.

I wanted to find which of my two RAM sticks was the issue, so I pulled one out, restarted, launched the game that I first played (on one stick in DDR4 slot 1) and it worked fine. I then pulled that stick out and put the other back in (in slot 1), and relaunched the game. It seemed to work fine.

Now I'm thinking its an issue with the 3rd RAM slot on my mobo (RAM sticks were in 1 and 3 before all this happened). I wasn't completely sure but after reading my motherboard's installation instructions, it appeared as if it could run RAM in dual channel in slots 1 and 3 or slots 2 and 4. I put the sticks in 2 and 4 and booted up. Computer booted fine but after a few minutes of just being on the desktop it gave me a BSOD for IRQL Not Less or Equal. Doesn't this indicate a driver issue? But RAM doesn't have drivers...

Then, just for extra assurance, I ran the memory diagnostic test on each individual stick, one at a time, in slot 1. Both came back clean, meaning the ram sticks, individually at least, do not need replacement.

I'm clueless now, where should I go from here? What else could be wrong? I'm not even sure if this is a result of the power outage or if that's just a coincidence. Could my CPU/Mobo/PSU have hardware issues, or is it software related like Windows getting messed up or BIOS getting mixed up? Could this be something to do with power distribution in BIOS? Did the chkdsk command prove the HDD is definitely not the issue? (I only have one storage drive.) Could one of the sticks have gotten timing tweaked so they don't work together?

PC Specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6c12t CPU

Team TForce 16GB (2 x 8) 3000MHz RAM

GTX 1060 6GB GPU

Gigabyte GA AB350 Gaming Mobo

Windows 10 Pro OS

Any input appreciated, thanks in advance.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom