second monitor no longer displays after win 10 update

• Thread starter completelyfrustrated_grr
  • Start date
C

completelyfrustrated_grr

This is a weird one but seems to be quite common for peeps who have upgraded from win 7 - 10.

I'm running win10 pro. After a win 10 update in Feb, I restarted my machine and my second monitor no longer works. That update also trashed my NVIDIA driver updates but I have managed (thanks to NVIDIA support) to update the driver although I can't get the experience to work any longer so I'm condemned to doing the updates by hand.

but back to my monitor...

The monitor is fine, when it's the only one plugged into the vid card (NVIDIA 1060) it works and displays the desktop and considers itself desktop 1.

However, once the second one is plugged into the vid card it goes black but both windows and NVIDIA see it is still there and I can extend the desktop and things will open to it (although I can't see anything on the screen of course because the screen is black). Interestingly, the power light goes off too but I can press it and it will flash green for a sec then goes out again.

when windows boots, the splash screen is on the second monitor (which I can't see because the monitor is black) - even if I've got the settings set so only monitor 1 shows

• the driver is correct, I don't have any default win driver.
  • I did uninstall and reinstall the nvidia driver - didn't fix it
  • I've checked the monitor settings and they're both recognised - in device manager, windows settings and the NVIDIA control panel
  • I've unplugged both and plugged them in to force win 10 to recognise them and it doesn't matter which one I plug in first, as soon as the second one is plugged in it goes black
  • I've replaced the dvi cable on the second monitor for a brand new one - didn't help
  • I removed the win 7 intel hd graphics driver in the hope that would fix it - it didn't
  • I've gone in search of drivers for the monitors (just in case) and there's nothing
  • Win 10 is up to date
  • the pc is not set to sleep or hibernate
  • i tried changing the monitor resolution for both and then reverting - didn't help
  • I've tried unplugging the second monitor and rebooting - the splash screen moved back to monitor 1 but when I plugged in monitor 2, as usual it was recognised but the monitor was still unresponsive.

Can someone help? I've been suffering this for well over a month now and I need a second monitor!

Thanks

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom