Windows 7 Update and other programs unable to install, Very frustrated

L

LemonMints

Hello, I am currently dealing with a hard to understand problem with installs on Windows 7.

Around early to mid last month (March 2019) I had an issue on my computer where Window security essentials, defender, and spybot search and destroy all were being shut of automatically, even if I manually started one (I did not do this with spybot as I often forget I have it) they'd shut off within a few minutes. I had had a similar problem happen before months ago, and simply uninstalled MSE, installed malwarebytes and then scanned the computer (never anything serious) and then switched back to MSE and did away with malwarebytes.

This time, I could not do that. MSE will not install and gives "error code 0x8004FF91". I read that spybot conflicts with MSE, and to uninstall it. I did so, the installer still cannot reinstall.
I noticed my computer was booting up HORRIBLY slow, and would get stuck at the starting windows screen. After googling this issue, I saw stuck updates were one of the more common causes (i have noticed since then that the shut down screen talking about installing update 1/3 happens, but the start up screen where it initializes them does not). I followed the instruction to boot in safe mode and try again, computer booted up in perfect time this time, so I went and looked to see what update it was that failed, and saw I had had an update failing to install for quite awhile.

It was Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - February 2019 (KB890830). I tried downloading this update manually but nothing happens when I attempt to use this file.

There was also another update for Windows defender I believe that was failing at the same time, but I found a workaround for that one by manually having Defender look for updates.

Close to this event (I'm unsure when during all this this started happening, as I was certain it was a virus preventing the install and I was very focused on trying to find it) I started getting this error in reference to my Wacom tablet service that starts with my computer "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item".

At first I wasn't worried about this because Wacom tablet drivers are notoriously bad, and that it would resolve the next time I rebooted.
It did not. The next time I restarted the error message about this program displayed before I'd even logged into Windows.

I uninstalled my Wacom tablet driver intending to re-install, but I am completely unable to reinstall the program. I get no error messages, it just freezes about 1/3rd of the way through. This is a problem that is still persistent, as I attempted to install it again today after taking a several day break from this situation.

I have tried to re-install both programs and the updates dozens of times. While these programs/update cannot install, some things can install. My skype, discord, and steam updates all install correctly, and so did the new version of Ccleaner I installed today.

Windows is also asking me to find an antivirus online, I'm not sure of this is due the the malwarevytes premium trial expiring, but I do still have the basic version.

I have also noticed my windows backups are just gone. They can be there one hour and gone the next, while I am using ccleaner often for this process, I am not running the temp data cleaner, only the registry scanner.

Fixes I have tried:

Fully shutting down the PC after uninstallation, running Ccleaner to tidy up orphan files before attempting to reinstall.
Booted the PC in safe mode to "unstick" the update that is failing to install (It is still failing to install).
Running many virus scans (malware bytes and defender), MB found 1 PUP, but it's not a concern, I quarantined it to be safe. Now 0 threats are found.
Running virus scan in safe mode. Came up clean.
The sfc /scannow , 0 issues found.
Downloaded fresh copies of the Wacom tablet driver file, MSE, and windows update KB890830 files (3 times). None of the new installers have succeeded, and nothing at all happens when I attempt to use the update file.
Attempting to force the update to install via the windows update install update button.
This program intended to fix installation issues, but since the programs I can't install are unlisted it's unhelpful.. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...hat-block-programs-being-installed-or-removed

I am beyond lost at what else to do. I have spent hours googling and working on this problem, usually I can solve these things myself but I'm really at a loss on this one and need help.

Thank you very much for your time.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom