Windows Shell Experience Host and Runtime Broker spiking CPU usage to 100% every time I perform a process on my computer.

L

LukeHarwood

So I've had issues with Windows Shell Experience Host before, however I fixed the issue simply turning off the slideshow my desktop background was on at the time.

This time the Windows Shell Experience Host issue has seemingly come out of nowhere, and it now has an accomplice: Runtime Broker.

I've been trying to actively fix the issue for about the past 8 hours, and can't get anywhere with it. This problem is really bugging me because it only rears its head in the first half a second after I open my task manager, when it then swiftly returns to normal.

This is what I see in the brief instant after I open my task manager (although sometimes it's slightly different, with one of either WSEH or RB missing):

d2bac314-500e-4657-a03e-f68941f5e633?upload=true.png

As you can see, the CPU usage is exceedingly high, and despite my having the list ordered by descending CPU usage, the ones supposedly using the most (WSEH and RB) are displayed as using 0%. The CPU usage is at 100% usually, but this time it was only 92, which is still ridiculous. Also bare in mind that the Google Chrome tabs are not affecting this, as the problem persists in exactly the same way even when they are closed. I believe the 0% display is simply caused by the computer being slowed down by the opening of the task manager due to the WSEH and RB causing issues. So, in reality, they are eating away at all of my CPU usage.

I know this is not a heat bottlenecking issue, as I have my laptop set on a cooling pad, and the issue persists even when nothing is running and the temperature of the laptop is low.

I have tried quite a few approaches to fix this, as most articles online I have found very unhelpful. All of the articles say to either change the slideshow, set the colour options to not change automatically, and set the task bar to not be transparent. I tried changing all of these things, yet the problem persisted.

So, I then tried disabling some vanity aspects of windows, such as Windows Ink Workspace, People, Phone, and the Touch Keyboard. I did this by changing their binary settings in the registry editor to 0 and disabling them. The problem persisted even after computer restarts.

I tried multiple virus scans, but they solved nothing.

I checked the WSEH was not a virus by identifying its file source location in System 32.

I also tried an sfe /scannow in system 32 to try and identify any faulty software causing the lag. The scan said everything was fine, yet the problem persists.

It might be useful to note that this problem only really started when I set up my new drawing tablet on my computer (since I'm a digital artist). The Huion Camvas Pro 12.

The main area this is causing issues is during gaming, as it causes the screen to freeze every few seconds, making it impossible to play properly. However, subtle frame drops as the CPU struggles are noticable during general pc use.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this, as it's massively hindering my experience on my laptop.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom