Computer won't work after latest windows 10 update failed installing, and I'm at a loss

S

Sage Eric

So this is going to be a very long read as it's a very complex problem, after the latest windows update my computer will no longer boot or work correctly. I posted on this subject a few days ago however things have gotten a lot worse since then, what originally happened was windows tried to install the latest update and failed to do so freezing at 28% into its installation.

Upon restarting my computer I would either get a black screen, reach the login screen which would usually freeze immediately or within a few seconds or reach an error screen saying my computer could not turn off successfully saying winload.efi was missing and given error code 0xc000025. At the bottom of the screen were a bunch of different options including startup settings, I was not able to load into automatic repair just this screen or blackscreen/frozen login screen.

None of the startup settings worked I'd just boot into a black screen upon selecting one save for the normal safemode option which would work 50% of the time however it would not accept my correct password so this option was effectively useless. I was actually able to "fix" this entire issue (or so I thought) usually with around 30-60mins of constantly booting on and off my computer until the login screen booted successfully without freezing. However upon shutting down my computer a combination of things would happen

1. Either my computer doesn't shut down at all but everything else does including the monitor. So I'd have to turn the computer off manually and upon turning my computer back on I'd again be back at square one requiring 30-60 mins of nothing but turning on and off my computer until booting to the login screen without freezing.

2. Or upon turning off my computer it would try to reinstall the failed windows update freezing at the same percentage, this was the only difference compared to problem #1.

However as the days have gone on the problem has gotten significantly worse, upon shutting down it now tries reinstalling the windows update no matter what I do even disabling automatic updates through every available channel. Which would again then require me doing my brute force method, even putting my computer into to sleep mode made my computer try to reinstall this update.

It progressed to the point where two days ago my brute forcing method no longer worked, I was actually able to "fix it" (again, so I thought) by using windows installation media and first doing a system restore followed by removing the latest quality and feature updates that did install correctly via installation media. Upon reading online about this update I learned that many people are also having issues with their computers and that the update is actually causing many problems for people. However Microsoft's statement on the issue is that the problems only happen to people that have certain anti virus programs installed, The only anti virus program I have installed is windows defender, I have no other anti virus programs installed whatsoever on the computer yet I'm still having problems with this update.

The worst however happened today, I'm no longer able to even reach a login screen, I tried my brute forcing method for 3 hours and I didn't reach a single login screen. I again did a system restore however the only restore point I had was for the 18th (the time of which was before I removed the updates), I also again removed the latest quality and feature update. But nothing has fixed the problem, I'm convinced I now have to do a fresh install of windows but I really hope that is not the case.

Detailed below are my system specs followed by a list of all the fixes I have done so far today alone:

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" 144 hz

SSD: Kingston SSDnow series 250 gb NVMe drive (where the os is installed)

HDD: Seagate 1TB Barracuda

Motherboard: Asrock B360M-HDV

CPU: Intel i3 8100 3.6 ghz

GPU: NVIDIA GTX 980

Ram: 2x4 Gb DDR4 Gskill gaming ram 2400mhz

Power Supply: Mod xstream-pro 700 Watts

Here is the list of what fixes I have tried. I either get a black screen or get the following message 3/10 times whenever I boot up my machine:
"recovery, your pc couldnt turn off properly the application or operating system couldnt be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors file:\windows\system32\winload.efi error code: 0xc000025"

I have tried the following fixes:

1. unplug all USB and connected devices from computer in case that's what was causing the freezes
  2. Secure boot has always been disabled but I checked anyway in case it was on
  3. Repairing the boot record, only way I'm actually able to do this is via windows installation media as automatic repair menu won't appear and I'm not able to boot into safemode via the above error screen I just get a black screen instead. All commands work except for "Bootrec /fixboot" which gives me access denied. Interesting thing to note is the scan os command says I have 0 installations of windows, however I know this not to be the case as I've had windows 10 since it came out and it's always been installed on my ssd. Even going into the windows installation media confirms this saying I'm on windows 10 volume 3.
  4. Using the BCDBoot method, similar to the above step every command works except for the last one: "bcdboot c:\Windows /s w: /f ufei" instead of working I get the message "Failure when attempting to copy boot files"
  5. Disabling Anti malware protection via the recovery screen I sometimes get, I just boot to a black screen upon selecting this option.
  6. System restoring to an earlier date before the update was installed, it actually does the system restore but I still get the same errors as above.
  7. Removing previous installs via windows installation media, I removed both the latest feature and quality updates. Still boot to black screen or the recovery screen, also worth mentioning since I did this today and not the first time I did it which was two days ago I actually no longer hit the windows login instead I just get a black screen.
  8. Startup repair via windows installation media, it fails every time and gives the message "Automatic/Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC . Press “Advanced options” to try other options to repair your PC or “Shut Down” to turn off your PC. Log file: C:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt Solution."

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom