Storage Replica (Windows 2016) on VMware virtual machine

M

mahi Blr

Hi,

We are planning to set-up Windows Server to Server Storage Replica (Windows 2016) in our environment to replicate archive data from one location to another.

While I was checking pre-requisites for storage replica, it list number of things (Server-to-server storage replication). Few things were not very clear to me My questions;

1. Is possible to set-up server-to server storage replica on Windows 2016 server running as guest VM on vmware platform? if possible, any other additional requirement from guest disk perspective?
  2. Is it must to have SSDs for logs?
  3. Does it work with different storage boxes in source and target location with different disk drive types like speed, model etc? (Source and target locations have Hitachi SAN but different model (HUS110 and 130) and different disk drive speed)

Finally I was testing this feature by creating 2 virtual machines on my test ESX box. I get the following error while setting up the replication;

Error: Replication groups RG01 and RG02 do not match. Possible reasons: - log size in those two groups are different. - data partition sizes are different in those two groups. - data partition physical sector size are different in those two groups. - log partition logical sector size are different in those two groups. - write consistency setting are different in those two groups.

Test-SRTopology throws following error; but disk(volume) size is same.

Volume Size Test: Volume E: on SRV01 and G: on SRV02 are not the same size. Storage Replica cannot be configured to replicate unidentical volumes

Any help on this is much appreciated.

Mahi

Continue reading...