Adding shortcuts to File Explorer Quick Access OR customizing name of pinned folders in Quick Access

C

CR Vandecar

Just got upgraded to Win10 PRO from Win7 PRO at work. I work for an Architect where there are multiple projects where primary folder is unique, and there is a subfolder I need to open up within each projects. The subfolder for each project is labelled 'Specs'. In Windows 7 I could create a shortcut to each 'Specs' folder, and then customize the name for the shortcut, and drag it into Favorites (now called Quick Access in Windows 10) in File Explorer. I have to access the files in these folders on and off over the course of many months. Not always every one on every day. I'm not sure the 'Pick up where you left off' feature is going to be very useful as a workaround.

In Windows 10 dragging a shortcut into Quick access is not allowed. WHY ON EARTH WAS THIS FEATURE REMOVED?

If I try to use the Pin to Quick access feature, I end up with 12 folders that are all labelled 'Specs', and there is no opportunity to create an alias for the folder name. If I go into the Properties for these pinned items it will rename the actual folder name, which is NOT good, as we are a department of 50 employees and the folder name 'Specs' must remain as is within each folder structure. If I could create an Alias for each entry in the Quick access list that only applies to my view, that would be an acceptable alternative to not being able to use shortcuts in Quick access.

I am really surprised and disheartened that Microsoft has removed a really useful feature! Any suggestions appreciated.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom