copy paste data file vary slow

S

sunilbajaj1

Copying files VERY slow, speed drops to zero, even on USB 3 -- no solutions have worked

I have a mini PC with Windows 10 64-bit preinstalled. Set it up this weekend and when copying files between USB 3 drives, the speed is abysmal. It fluctuates wildly during copy/move. Rarely more than 10mb/s, and every few seconds it drops to 0 kb/s, where it hangs for minutes. Transferring a folder with lots of files can take hours, with most of that time wasted with the process just stalled.

What I'm copying between:

• Sandisk Ultra thumb drive USB 3.0
  • Crucial M500 SSD, 960GB - in an Inateck USB 3.0 enclosure optimized for SSD - drive is newly formatted by Win 10, NTFS

Interestingly -- I notice that sometimes when the copy/move stalls, the Windows Explorer status bar on the destination slowly fills with a green progress bar -- and I mean SLOOOWWWLY. It crawls along, and will sometimes get to what looks like 99-100%, then hang. This happens no matter which drive is the destination.

I have searched exhaustively and found many forums where this problem is posted and detailed, with almost as many suggested fixes. None have worked for me. Ones I have tried include:

• System Maintenance Troubleshooter - no errors
  • Optimized the drives for Better Performance
  • Autotuning turned off -- no change. Back on -- no change.
  • Remote Differential Compression turned OFF for all drives - no change
  • Temporarily disabling Win Defender real-time - no change
  • Disabled indexing
  • Disabled Large Send Offload
  • Changed Windows Explorer to open with This PC
  • Write caching enabled for all drives
  • Tried turning off write cache flushing (box checked) - no change. Back on (box unchecked) - no change.
  • Updated the PC's BIOS
  • Changing ports on the PC - with/without powered USB hub - no change
  • Updated Windows to the latest version - no change

When I do a speed test, the SSD clocks at almost 500mb/s read & ~300+mb/s write, and the Sandisk thumb drive tests fine as well. But when copying/moving files in Explorer, it maxes around 10mb/s and is most often in kb/s, as I said above. So I assume that, like others have posted, this is a Windows issue.

I'm at a complete loss here. I've found a few posts that begin with SOLVED, often using one of the fixes above, but I remain decidedly unsolved.

If anyone can provide ANY insight into this, I will be very grateful.

Thanks very much!

B

Continue reading...