Windows Media Player DVD Playback Issue

A

a_j_w_

Windows Media Player on Windows 7 has suddenly stopped playing DVDs.

The last two nights I've been watching a movie in parts, and this morning went to finish it.

I left my machine and program running overnight, and this morning went to the menu to click on the scene I wanted to start at.

I believe this is where the issue began.

After I clicked the scene and nothing happened (the program was still responding, just did nothing in response to my selection), I tried to play it from the beginning.

The DVD starts, and makes it to the rating screen, where it freezes. If I choose to skip to the title screen, the screen goes blank.

I've tried two other DVDs and it does the same thing (also tried the DVDs in my Toshiba DVD player hooked up to my TV, and the DVDs work fine). I've also restarted the program and my computer, used a different disk drive, uninstalled/reinstalled Windows Media Player, ran the Windows troubleshooter, installed optional updates related to fixing errors, spent nearly three hours on the internet looking through various forums, and finally, installed VLC from VideoLan just so I could finally watch the movie (haven't stopped to watch yet but I did test it, and the movie plays just fine in VLC).

I prefer Windows Media Player, so I'd like to figure out the issue and go back to using that instead of VLC.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Continue reading...