USB printer port not accessible

G

GMontoya

I recently bought a Canon Pixma MG2580S inkjet printer for home use with my Lenovo Ideapad 310-15IKB running Windows 10 Home 1809.

I plugged the printer in and windows detected it as MG2500 Series, and also as MG2500 Series WS. Neither of these options was functional for printing. I removed the printers and used the Canon install disk. It ran fine, until it asked to plug in and activate the printer. I did so, and it detected the printer, but after sitting for ten minutes, announced that the printer was not actually connected.

As per both Windows and Canon troubleshooting, I rolled back the installation and tried again. It repeated the error.

I checked the USB port drivers and they are up to date. I checked Canon's online database and I also have the most up-to-date driver there.

This is not the first time I have had trouble running a USB-based printer from Windows 10. Last time I tried it, in December of 2017, I got a similar error from an HP printer, where the install software announced that Windows 10 cannot run USB printer protocols over a USB 3.0 port. I got the same error running it in both a USB 3.0 port and in a USB 2.0 port on the same computer, where it worked just fine on the office computer running Windows 7.

I have tried the solutions available in this thread: Windows 10 can't find printer

They did not work.

Of course, I can't use the printer over Wifi protocol because Windows 10 also won't talk to anything in the LAN... any IPv4 address in the 192.168.nnn.nnn range is completely anathema to every installation of Windows 10 I have ever worked with, so I can't access the printer to set it up and make it visible to my home network. How do I make the printer and the computer make nice?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom