Refresh (Re-fetch?) DNS servers in widows 10

K

KaseyE

For a while I had custom DNS servers set in my IPv4 settings for my ethernet connection. I was using the google DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. I have set up a DNS server on my local network running Ubuntu that I want to use to serve up local site with custom domain names.

I changed the settings in my router to use the local DNS server (192.168....) and my providers domain as the #2 (208...).

When i went into my windows machine and selected the option to "assign DNS automatically" again the DNS servers will not change from the google addresses. ipconfig /all displays 8.8... I made the change 4 days ago thinking that it would just take time to refetch addresses but no luck. I have tried the various ipconfig commands to flushdns, renew and release IP but still no effect.

Is there a way to force windows 10 to refetch the DNS servers when keeping the automatic DNS settings? I have several machines on the network and i dont want to go into each one and manually assign DNS servers (and can't for some clients), hence the change at the router level.

(I am correct in assuming it will get the DNS addresses from the router, right? Regardless of where they come from the PC shouldn't be using the google addresses anymore)

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom