NIC teaming and trunking together with hyper-v

J

jms123

For clarity a trunk is a link that can carry multiple vlans and each frame/packet is tagged with a specific vlan ID.

So I setup hyper-v with just a single NIC connection and configured the NIC as a trunk on the Cisco side. Once I had done this I could then create VMs and simply add a tag in the VM network settings and it all worked ie. I could have VMs in different vlans/IP subnets and there was no configuration needed on the host NIC setup.

I am now trying to use teaming so I have two NICs teamed and on the Cisco side I have set up the ports in an etherchannel also configured as a trunk.

At first I could not even connect to the host until I went into the team properties and changed the vlan from the default vlan to the vlan ID the management subnet was using on the primary interface.

My question is can I just assign VMs into additional vlans as I did with the single link or do I need to add secondary team interfaces, one for each new vlan I add ?

Edit - Just to clarify the main question. If I was not using hyper-v and just wanted the server to be in multiple vlans then I fully understand that I would need secondary team interfaces each with an IP assigned from a different subnet for it to work.

But as I am passing it off to a hyper-V vswitch do I actually need secondary team interfaces or not ?

Hope that makes sense.

Many thanks.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom