My Mobo/CPU fried, replacing with newer hardware. I upgraded from W7 to W10. How can I find my activation key?

T

Tempest Demon

Hello, basically my issue is that my setup just stopped powering on properly recently, and began cycling every half-second- to where i could not even enter the bios. I replaced the Power Supply and sequentially removed parts that could be the issue until I was down to just the Mobo and CPU, so I have nothing else to go on as far as the cause of the issue.

My build is from 2014 so I figured I would just upgrade and replace the CPU, Mobo and Ram, while keeping my current SSD, HDD’s, disc drive and GTX 760. My thought was to just plug in my SSD and use my existing Windows 10 no biggie.

I placed my order for these parts before realizing after research that Windows does a Hardware inventory and may create one of two issues- either a flat error that might require a fresh install, or issues with authenticity- recognizing the new hardware and enacting a fraud protection etc. (As if I were installing Windows 10 on a new PC without paying for a new key).

My question is- if i can’t even boot up my previous hardware, and I plug in my SSD into the new hardware, what can I expect to happen on startup? And in a perfect world, if the system asks for my activation key- will it allow me to reinstall my existing OS?

Furthermore, I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10, and without being able to start my previous system, is there any way to learn my Windows 10 key? Thank you to anyone who can shed light on my situation.

If I just need to repurchase Windows, thats fine too. I was more worried about me data, but i purchased a Sata/USB converter to try to extract those files before doing the install.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom