sharing encrypted files with XP and 7/10

S

SlickRCBD

I've been asked to provide a photo of my identification in order to get hired for a job via the internet. Unfortunately, I could not find 64-bit drivers for my scanner, so I have to use my old Windows 98SE/XP Pro dual-boot computer to scan my driver's license as all my newer Windows computers are 64-bit.

As this is prime material for identity theft, I decided to use the (for me) little used "encrypt this file" feature on XP Pro.

However, I found that I could not access the [shared] file from Thunderbird on my Windows 7 or Windows 10 computer even though they all use the same username and password and are on the same workgroup. In fact, I could not copy the file over to the modern systems at all from the modern system.

Unchecking the "encrypt this file" checkbox on the XP machine fixed the problem. I had to recheck it again afterwards.

I was under the impression that encrypted files could be shared, or does that only work when on a domain rather than a workgroup?

I was using a limited user account called "Slick" on all three computers mentioned and on the same workgroup. The password is the same, and have no trouble accessing unecrypted files.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom