Windows 10 Not Activated After Hardware Change

S

S.V.Cohen

I've recently upgraded my PC, new Motherboard, Ram, CPU, etc. My previous build was using a retail copy of Windows 7, installed by myself ( so not OEM ), which I then upgraded to Windows 10 during the free upgrade period.

Before I moved PC's I checked that the digital license was linked to my Microsoft account - which it was. I then proceeded to wipe the old build and begin installing windows on the upgraded hardware. I expected to be able to login to the new build with the same Microsoft account and it be activated but this didn't happen.

I have tried using the Activation Troubleshooter, using the " I Recently Changed Hardware On This Device", although when I go to click my old device which is listed it states, " We can't reactivate Windows at this time. Try again later ".

On my Microsoft account online, I can see that both the old hardware and new hardware are listed as two separate entities but linked to the same account.

Additionally, I don't have the original product key for my windows 7 installation, nor any proof of purchase due to it being a physical copy purchased 6 years ago.

Is there any way for me to transfer this Digital License over to my new build without having the original product key? What's the point in Mircosoft changing the product key into digital license linked to your account if you still need the physical key to transfer your license?

I'm just asking before I purchase a new Windows 10 license, rendering my existing license redundant. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated, I've tried calling Microsoft Support and they basically said I had to buy a new license due to not having my Windows 7 key. Thanks.

Continue reading...