Windows Defender unable to complete a full scan of the disk / shuts down computer / weird

T

TomM1249

Hi,

Every now and then I like to run a full scan of all the drives in my computer (Windows 10). Lately I am unable to complete this task. The symptoms are a little weird. When I kick off either a full or custom scan I see the CPU utilization ramp up ultimately to the point (after a few minutes) where all 8 cores are running at 100%. I hear the CPU fan accelerate. After a short time the computer shuts itself off. Now, I am guessing that I have a BIOS setting somewhere that detects the CPU temperature and shuts everything off to keep things from melting, and I suppose I could turn this off. However, this is new behavior for the machine, and I would prefer not to turn off the "please don't melt my CPU" bios setting. I am unable to set the affinity for MsMpEng.exe (Access is denied). I have also tried to set the group policy for Computer Configuration --> Administrative Templates --> Windows Components --> Windows Defender Antivirus --> Scan --> Specify the maximum percentage of CPU utilization during a scan to 20% but this has no effect. I am able to fully scan all disks with Malwarebytes without a problem. I ran sfc /scannow -- which recently reported and repaired some file permissions errors, but otherwise the machine works as always. Has anyone seen something like this? Seems like if I could just set the affinity to only use 1 or 2 cores I would be all set, but so far I've had no success getting Task Manager to allow me to do this. Is there a way to force the affinity somewhere else?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Continue reading...