Miracast no longer connects to devices, Windows 10

S

Syn-Tzu

I recently did a fresh install of Windows 10. After reinstalling everything else back I attempted to cast to my Roku but couldn't. Then I tried to connect to my routers admin gui and again, couldn't. I couldn't connect to the admin on my home router or my mobile hotspot. This isn't the first time this has happened, with both issues at the same time, and I don't know how I fixed it the last time. It just spontaneously started working again. Turns out, a setting I had changed before for another purpose had fixed the problem but I didn't connect the fix to the change because I didn't notice it was fixed until a long time after the change was made. So after hours of researching and attempting all sorts of solutions I stumbled upon this article, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/all/miracast-requires-further-installation-surface-pro/7fc52981-42ff-461b-aead-8474a0a823d7 that had a response by Barb Bowman and a link to her blog for suggested fixes.

The first one worked for me, sorta. The problem was as she suggested my VPN software. I use NordVPN. Instead of uninstalling and testing I opened it and went to the settings. I noticed I had set my laptop to be invisible on the LAN. Switched it to off and VIOLA! Both Miracast and my connection to my routers admin gui were restored.

So, I'm writing this because I've seen this question about miracast not working going back years without a lot of help or solutions for many people, like me. I tried 30 or more recommended solutions but none of them worked until I ran across that article. Which I almost didn't read because I'm on a Dell Inspiron not a Surface Pro. I hope this helps anyone else having the same issues and none of the other solutions worked for either.

But if you are having problems and can no longer cast your laptop/pc screen to a wireless monitor and/or cannot connect to your router admin gui, I suggest checking your VPN software settings. If that doesn't help, Uninstall your VPN software then try to cast/connect.

I hope this can be found easily or moved so it can be. I spent about 8 hours searching for a solution and it wasn't until I looked in the driver events in device manager and copied and pasted "Device SWD\WiFiDirect\DA:31:34:61:6C:D4#Miracast requires further installation." into the search that that article came up. A very simple solution that took half a second to implement but forever to find.

The Miracast drivers never did finish installing, according to device manager, but nonetheless, it's working again.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom