File History: Sees my external SSD used for backup but says no files to restore from

D

DanNorstrom1

Thank everyone in advance for your time!

Due to a hardware issue and to declutter my system, I had to do a full, ground-up reinstallation of Windows 10 (64bit).

• My account/ID name was (for example) "*** Email address is removed for privacy ***". I was also the only user/account, and Administrator, on my PC.
  • I kicked-off the "restore to factory image and reinstall your operating system" process
  • Windows prompted me to make a full USB bootable recovery flash drive on a 64GB USB flash drive
  • Windows then prompted me to make a full file backup using File History- the backup was made to my external 2TB SDD
  • It successfully ran and created the FileHistory directory, my "123ABC" directory, my PC name directory and the Files/Data subdirectories- no errors or skip file messages
  • I then reinstalled Windows 10 (64bit) using my same Microsoft license
  • I then created a new acccount/ID name (for example) "*** Email address is removed for privacy ***"; I didn't want to use *** Email address is removed for privacy ***" anymore as my old ID was no longer a good choice for many reasons- especially if I added an employee to my small home business
  • The Windows and all my apps and driver install went perfectly

Here is where the problem started:

• I then went to Settings, Backup and File History and attemepted to restore my saved files
  • My 2TB SSD was in the same USB slot when the backup was successfully created, even noting the correct drive "D:\"
  • File History said it could not locate any previous backups
  • I went through all settings, advanced settings and FIle History does see my D:\ drive but still says it cannot locate any files to restore from

I am thinking it is because my original backup was created usting my old "123ABC" Microsoft ID, which is in fact in the backup file path

• My new, current Microsoft ID on my PC as noted earlier is now "*** Email address is removed for privacy ***"
  • Do I need to re-create my old ID as an additional user and restore it that way?
  • Any other suggestions?

Many, many thanks to everyone involved!

Continue reading...