SD Card readers don't work with Windows 10 for last month or so

P

PeteSmith1

I have two computers, one running Windows 10 Home (An Asus motherboard, AMD processor) and the other a Windows 10 Pro running an Intel motherboard and i5 processor. My card readers (3) are Inland, Delkin and Vantec, all using USB 2.0. Testing with SD cards from 4 to 32 MB, formatted either in FAT or FAT32.

About a month ago (May 2019), micro SD card reading began to get erratic on both machines, with all 3 card readers. It got progressively worse until now I have no SD card reader functionality. Occasionally one or the other reader can display the top-level directory of an SD card, but I cannot format or otherwise work with the cards.

Because of my hardware situation, described above, it appears that Windows 10 is the only common denominator, and considering that this problem only began recently, I have to suspect a Windows 10 update.

I have tried every suggestion I have seen on the Net, particularly involving reinstalling or re-enabling the card drivers, making me think that the solution lies with Microsoft. Has anyone else had a similar recent experience? Solved it?

Pete Smith

Continue reading...