My DVD/CD-ROM drive isn't playing any DVD's

K

Kishen.20

I'll first mention my system's specifications:

Windows 10 Pro 1903, 64-bit (OS build: 18362.207)

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3740QM CPU @ 2.70 GHz, 4.00GB RAM, 500GB HDD
HP Elitebook 8470p (Yes I'm using a laptop, it's a used/second-hand one)

My DVD/CD-ROM drive is "hp DVDRAM GT80N". It has the DVD logo printed outside of it so it should play DVD's right?

I hope this is enough; if there are any more specifications you need to know, please don't hesitate to ask!

I've rented two DVD's of movies for my viewing pleasure: Aquaman and Venom. Yet, when I insert those DVDs into my laptop, my system gets very slow, sometimes it gets too slow to recognise the DVD I've inserted. It sometimes recognises the Aquaman DVD but not the Venom one. Even if it recognises the Aquaman DVD, I can't play it. VLC media player either takes a long time (which seems like forever because it still doesn't play after like, half an hour) or it shows a 12-second video that doesn't play either. I can't play Venom because my laptop couldn't recognise the DVD at all. EDIT: There are sounds coming from the DVD drive when I insert my DVDs though, sometimes loud, sometimes soft, sometimes no sound (which may come back).

I tried uninstalling the DVD/CD-ROM drive using Device Manager and then restarting my laptop to reinstall drivers, but that doesn't work. I thought it could be a region code issue, so I set my DVD drive (which had no region code to it before this) to Malaysia, where I am, so Region 3. My DVD's are for Region 3 as well. But that doesn't work too.

I tried inserting an Audio CD from a textbook and it works well, I can play all the audio with clarity. Yet I couldn't play my DVD's. My laptop is the only device that could play DVD's. I have no separate DVD player. Someone please help me before I'm due to return my DVD's next week. Thank you so much in advance.

Continue reading...