BSODs attributed to ntoskrnl.exe ever since clean reinstallation but only when browsing the web at random

F

finn183

So it has been a week ever since I had to reinstall Windows after a BIOS update broke my old installation outright. Might as well consider it an upgrade as the broken version was 1803 at the time which I couldn't figure out why it refuses to update to 1903, but that's in the past.

When I first got the thing booting again I suffered from all types of BSODs and random freezes but now only ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY remains. It only happens while I'm browsing the web or even just leave the browser open. I click on somewhere and there's always a chance the bluescreen would pop up.

A cursory look at a dump file viewing utility reveals that ntoskrnl.exe would always be the culprit. I then ran a memory check utility (which came out fine) as well as the Driver Verifier (which also singled out a VirtualBox driver as well as ntoskrnl in its bluescreen). I have no antiviruses and only use Windows Defender. CHKDSK is fine and so is SFC /scannow.

Any suggestions will be welcome.

PS: BSODs rarely if ever show up on the old installation. They only started popping up constantly when I reinstalled Windows.

Edit: seems like the system can also bluescreen itself even without the browser open, but rarely. It appears as if using a browser heightens the chance of it occurring.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom