A recent call with Microsoft Support

• Thread starter theunofficialyvonne
  • Start date
T

theunofficialyvonne

Hey!

This is my first post in the community so I am glad to be a part of it!!!

I recently called Microsoft Support Australia for a question I had for my Windows Licence. I have a Dell Inspiron with a digital OEM licence for Windows 10 Home. Because this was an OEM Licence, I was wondering if upgrading components and swapping out hardware would affect the Activation.

I spoke to a man with an Indian accent who ask for some details. I asked the question, to which he replied that changing the components would not affect my licence, only if I swapped the motherboard out. I talked to him a bit more about the query and he said he was confused about the question I was asking.

This is the worrying part:

The representative asks me to be allowed Remote Access into my computer to be able to find my Product Key. I become really suspicious because I know a lot about the 'Windows Support Scams'.

For those who don't know, check this page out: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4013405/windows-protect-from-tech-support-scams

I decline, and tell him that this is a tactic that scammers use to be able to gain access to the computer. He then tries to reassure me that 'that is what the scammers may do but we are Microsoft and we use genuine software' and stuff like that. I still tell him no, but he understands me. He seems frustrated, in my opinion. I was going to ask to speak with a supervisor, but I decided to hang up. I was really confused as I was not sure if this was a genuine procedure. I called the Microsoft Number (13 20 58 in Australia) and I made sure after my call that this was the right number.

Was this genuine? Where should I enquire about this issue?

Thanks!!!

*UPDATE*

Right after posting this I got in contact with Dell. They gave much more support than Microsoft did in this instance. I still don't believe Microsoft would ever ask for Remote Access. I might get in contact with Microsoft to ask them about this situation.

*UPDATE*

I spoke to someone at Microsoft who addressed my privacy concerns and also helped me out with my original query. He said that this was a normal procedure and not to worry. He told me it was still a good idea to bring it to his attention, so if it was a major issue, it could be sorted out straight away.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom