BSOD/Crash in hal.dll/pshed.dll/ntoskrnl.exe - Tried everything, at a loss.

K

KevinBarfield

Hi there,

I just recently built a brand new PC and have a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro. Occasionally, but with some regularity, the PC will crash and reboot with WhoCrashed reporting the usual hal.dll and ntoskernal.exe being the reason.

SPECS:

Intel i7 9700k

MSI z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 3200 C16 RGB RAM

Corsair RM750x PSU

EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3+ Ultra Hybrid

Corsair H150i Pro RGB Platinum

=I can run CPU and GPU stress tests with zero issues or crashes

=I ran Intel's CPU Diagnostics program and it passed

=I can about six passes of memtest86 with no errors

=I seem to be able to play games for a while

=Disabled all OC on the CPU and removed OC software for GPU

=I have both CPU and GPU under water cooling and nine fans in the case, so heat shouldn't be a factor. No temps on the mobo or other component ever get over 60

=I tested both my m.2 SSDs with CHKDSC and both had no errors

=I've been able to write this whole post on a single boot whereas before the last crash I was only able to browse Amazon for a minute or two (I'm using a single stick of RAM with no XMP)

The MAIN time it seems like it crashes is when I'm using Chrome and browsing things. I haven't noticed any crashes outside of that, to my recollection. Thought it might be something to do with RAM. Tested RAM in every way I can think. Repeating the issue is hard sometimes, especially with XMP off. Seemed like maybe it was something else.

I thought I had it pinned down to a driver issue with Corsair's iCue program as it only seems to start when I install that. I did a completely fresh install of Windows this morning, got it all set up and running with no issues or crashes, then finally installed iCue to test it and then it crashed within a few minutes. Ran the system file checker and repaired some corrupted files after uninstalling iCue and the PC ran just fine with as many programs as I could have open and as many chrome tabs as I felt like opening for hours, then eventually crashed again with the most recent DMP. Booted back up to look in WhoCrashed and write this and it hasn't crashed yet.

I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out what's causing this and BlueScreenViewer is like looking through gibberish to me. I'm trying to figure out if it's a purely hardware issue or if it's a driver corrupting system files like I had been thinking most of today. Since I didn't do a completely clean OS install after removing iCue, could it be something left over from that? This will be my 4th time installing Windows in two days, so I'm currently pulling my hair out trying to nail it down.

Here is a Dropbox link to some of the recent minidumps in a ZIP. If there's another way I should be uploading it, please let me know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0hpw26xwyox0mfr/minidumps.zip?dl=0

If there's any other information you guys need or you have any suggestions, please do let me know. I'm pulling my hair out here as I've already had to replace the CPU cooler.

Thanks!

Continue reading...