Installed a second DC/DNS and now i am having issues remoting in and using vpn

• Thread starter Taylor Wimberly
  • Start date
T

Taylor Wimberly

Hello all!

i have a feeling that my two issues are related.

• After rebooting either domain controller, i cannot remote in to that domain controller...unless i reboot the other one(i think.). i can remote into every client/server in the office, except for the DC that was rebooted.
  • i cannot use sonicwall netextender on any of the clients to connect to a customer that uses that.

short-story:

we have a server 2008 machine that was our primary & only domain controller for a very small network of about 5 servers and 5 client machines.

i needed the functionality of a domain controller that you cannot get with ad on a 2008 machine (gmsa accounts), so i created a second domain controller and dns.

i tried to do the walkthrough on how to configure dns by creating a forward lookup zone and then noticed that it looks like everything DNS-related was copied over to this new domain controller.

i made sure that my ipv4 settings are the same as on the original DC.

however, whenever i reboot or lose power on one of the DCs the other does not function. also, if i turn off the original DC(which i will do after writing this just to confirm), i lose internet access.

did i skip a step?

EDIT:: After restarting, and during the restart, the windows 10 machine i am on lost connection to the internet. i tried to flush dns, and used the troubleshooter, and i guess it somehow does not know that i have a second dc/dns server.

furthermore, now that i am back online, i used ipconfig and to confirm and it only shows my original DC as a DNS server, and does not list the second DC.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom