Windows 7 usage of the C drive

D

Davidk03

This query is about a really unexpected increase in the usage of the C drive after a drive upgrade - to a larger, faster and different SSD, compared to the original fit HDD. I'm going to outline how it's used and I would like some advice regarding why the use of C drive seems to have mushroomed over 11 months.

The computer is an HP g6-2002 laptop running windows 7, and I use this machine as a classroom aid once a week: apart from regular OS updates monthly, and (maybe) an update of the application used in class 4 times a year, it doesn't get a lot of work that would increase the use of C drive. Nonetheless, despite configuration and usage efforts to constrain that (next para) over 6 years the C drive gradually increased in used space.

The original laptop has had it's RAM increased to 8Gb, the max possible. The HDD was a 320Gb toshiba HDD, partitioned to C (the OS), and logical drives for workspace, applications and data (eg, video files documents music etc - the data files applications work on). When an application offers a custom install location choice, it goes to the applications drive. Although many apps don't do that - install direct to the C drive, no user choice allowed or offered, and contribute to what many call C drive 'bloat'.

At the time of drive update, the C drive was sized at 120Gb, of which 105gb was 'used'. I thought 15gb was just not enough spare space for reasonable performance and so I replaced that HDD with a 500gb SSD, with the various drive partitions up-sized. C drive became 150Gb, and a backup of the 105gb use was restored in the now larger C drive space. 10 Months later, the used space is close the maximum for the drive - barely 6gb free. See attached screenshot. And the clean up options would yield only a few mb - barely worth concern in a drive at 150Gb.8695fb3c-f287-4fb8-a5a7-cf2a87cadbe5?upload=true.jpg

I use Acronis true image as backup software, configured for max compression (which generally reduces size by about 30% on average), and backup the various partitions on the PC individually. A year ago, backup of the C drive was about 30Gb, and now (end of july backup) it's 39Gb. So, somewhere in C drive there seems to be a lot of empty space being counted as 'used'.

I've checked the restore point allocation - set for 5Gb. The paging file is 12Gb. neither of those 2 settings changed as a result of the drive upgrade. So I am at a loss to explain why an extra 40Gb has apparently been used by the OS. I was expecting that 40gb to be available space.

Is there an explanation for this?

Continue reading...