Windows Defender full or custom scan maxes cpu

E

Ebosu

Hello!

I've been having issues with Windows Defender on Windows 10 for a while now. It started sometime during the summer, though I can't pinpoint the exact date. When I run a full or custom scan, Antimalware Service Executable will quickly start jumping up to 100% cpu and it makes my computer basically unusable for the duration of the scan. It's not a constant 100%, but while it does go up and down it spends a lot of time at or near 100%. It doesn't matter what drive I scan, this issue crops up a few minutes in. The automatic scheduled scans presumably work alright, since I've never actually noticed them happening.

It's not an issue with background processes, because when Defender is the only thing running it will just hog more %. The highest I've seen it go is 96% cpu for Defender alone. Windows Defender is my only antivirus, so it's not a conflict either.

I've tried googling for solutions and haven't really found anything helpful. I added an exception for MsMpEng.exe, but that did nothing. I can't set an affinity for this process, though some posts suggest that might be normal. I've updated Windows and everything is the most current version available.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions for resolving this. I need to be able to scan my whole PC, not just a quick or scheduled scan.

Continue reading...