CHKDSK

M

MikeHoath

I have a problem/question about CHKDSK. (I'm running Windows 10 Home)
The background is that my previous laptop failed and seems to have corrupted the hard drive (the laptop's recovery process claimed to find a restore point, but didn't improve anything).
So I got a new laptop, put the failed drive in a caddy, connected it to a USB port. And the drive was recognised - partly. The drive has 2 partitions: a small system volume and a large data volume. The small volume can be opened by File Explorer, but the large volume can't (although it does know it exists) - eventually Explorer suggests formatting it.

The first RUN of CHKDSK produced:
---------
Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Security descriptor verification completed.
98282 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.
Found 100 bad clusters.
The Volume Bitmap is incorrect.
Windows has checked the file system and found problems.
Please run chkdsk /scan to find the problems and queue them for repair.

933733375 KB total disk space.
298117956 KB in 826924 files.
416916 KB in 98283 indexes.
400 KB in bad sectors.
1169091 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
634029012 KB available on disk.
---------

So, since CHKDSK managed to access the drive, I gave it a chance to fix it:
---------
D:\>chkdsk /scan f:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage file or other shadow copy data.

A snapshot error occured while scanning this drive. Run an offline scan and fix.
---------

And that's where I am stuck. There is plenty of space on the failed drive, and plenty more on the new laptop's D drive. But I've looked at dozens of help pages and can't find any statement about where CHKDSK is looking for this shadow space.
I've looked at System Protection in Control Panel, in the hope CHKDSK was using the same functions, and it won't let me switch it on for the new laptop's own drives (although it does let me change the maximum disk space!) even though I'm running as an administrator. If I try to use that facility after connecting the failed drive then it takes ages searching and eventually finds the good volume on the failed drive, but not the bad vol (which I guess is similar to the failure of File Explorer to get access to that vol).

I did try chkdsk /spotfix:
---------
D:\>chkdsk f: /spotfix
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is Windows8_OS.

Examining 1 corruption record ...

Record 1 of 1: Missing 14 entries in index "$I30" of directory "<0x4,0xc7ccc>" ... no corruption found.

1 corruption record processed in 0.1 seconds.

Windows has examined the list of previously identified issues and found no problems.
No further action is required.
---------

But of course that made no difference, the errors remain

So, CHKDSK is teasing me, /spotfix says no problem, the full check says there are specific issues, but it can't find the room to do the fix.
Is CHKDSK misleading about space and that there's actually a Windows service that needs to be running?
Is there something I can do to get round CHKDSK's shadow copy space issue?
Or is there some decent software that can fix the errors without suffering the same problem as CHKDSK?
Or do I send the drive to a data recovery firm and pay them more than the cost of my new laptop?

Continue reading...