Windows 7 Print Spooler Continuously Stops Itself / Wont' Start Up

G

gk4444

Hello. I have a Lenovo computer running Windows 7 Pro x64. All of a sudden in early-to-mid July it would not print on any printer that was set up (two Xerox 405c's connected through a network). When you go to add/remove printer, you get an error message basically saying the print spooler is not running so it cannot proceed. If you quickly start the spooler service from services.msc, and immediately click "add printer" when it says it restarted the service, you get a different error code - 0x000006be. Then a few seconds later it returns to the previous error message. It is not dependent on the printer; it's the spooler service. I have already tried the following:

1) Tested that other computers on the network can print, also all running Windows 7 x64

2) Removed all 'printers' from the list of printers

3) System restore won't work because it happened before the last restore point

4) Ensured that all dependencies for the spooler service are running

5) Tried clearing the printer cache

6) Tried running that scf /scannow (it ran and said it could not fix all of the errors; the log file is huge and I don't know how to read it)

7) Delete registry settings under HKEY Local Machine >> System >> Current Control Set >> Print >> Printers >> Environment (AND >> Printers too) as recommended in some articles

8) Ran the built in troubleshooter

9) Tried different user profiles on that computer; none worked

10) Deleted the items in %WINDIR%\system32\spool\printers and the same for the drivers folder

11) Stopping and restarting the print spooler service (as described in the paragraph at the top of this post)

12) Tried it in safe mode with networking (safe mode does not allow the print spooler service to run)

13) Tried reinstalling the driver from Xerox - it gets to the 'searching for printers' and just hangs there forever.

14) Browsed to the computer directly via its IP address, and it did take me to the UI for the printer, so it can communicate with it - again, reinforcing that it is the spooler service

15)
net stop Spooler -- net start spooler (there was some other command in between those that I think was to delete information from one of the directories in Windows/System32/Print/Spool or ......Print/Driver). I also manually deleted those files previously.

I am shocked that there are so many variations of this problem with the spooler service. Any other ideas? Please help.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom