All printers gone after updating to Windows 10 19H1 version 1903

G

Gurra1

This includes the standard printers Microsoft Print to PDF, Microsoft XPS Document Writer, OneNote, Send to OneNote etc.

Tried the following remedies (all with no effect)

1. Reinstalled one of the network printer drivers. It created a new printer with (1) appended at the end. The printer did not work. Message box: "Test Page Failed to print. Would you like to view the print troubleshooter for assistance? Unable to create a print job".

2. Ran print troubleshooter. It could see all the printers that used to be there including the new one visible to me but all it could do from there is to set one of them as default. Setting a non visible one as default obviously didn't work either as it can't be selected from any app (blank default printer field). Setting the freshly installed one as default doesn't fix anything.

3. Uninstalled all printer drivers from CPL - Programs and Features. Used "Remove device" on the only existing printer I just installed from CPL - Devices and printers.

4. Added back network printer using Add a printer in CPL - Devices and printers. Same problem. "Test Page Failed to print. Would you like to view the print troubleshooter for assistance? Unable to create a print job".

After this I tried a few Microsoft Community and other suggestions (all with no effect):

5. "Device Association Service", "Device Install Service", "Device Management Enrollment Service", "Device Setup Manager" and "DevQuery Background Discovery Broker". The first, third, fourth and fifth should have a startup type of "Manual (Trigger Start)". "Device Management Enrollment Service" is just "Manual" - These were all correct except for one of them being Automatic (Trigger Start) instead of Manual (Trigger Start). Neither setting makes any difference whatsoever. Left it on Manual (Trigger Start) for now.

6. Tried cacls PRINTERS /E /G <username>:C on the spool folder in case it is some kind of access rights issue - it does seem like it. No effect.

7. SFC /Scannow. - No problems found

8. dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth - No problems found or fixed

9. Tried adding registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{2227a280-3aea-1069-a2de-08002b30309d} with a value of Printers, needless to say this made no difference.

Other users have reported success with resetting Windows back to factory but I refuse to believe that this is the only method available to this increasingly commonly reported problem.

Any suggestions?

Continue reading...