Windows frequently restarting shortly after 1903 update

M

Mark329

I'm having trouble with Windows 10 restarting ever since my system updated to the 1903 release. It was updated at 7:21am on August 11, and my computer has now been restarting from 2 to 6 times a day. The first restart happened at 8:24am on August 11, just over an hour after the start of the update.

Some details on the restarts:

1. When it restarts, it presents as a power loss or failure. The computer instantly shuts down as though it lost power, sits for about 2 seconds and restarts. There are no local power surges, and power remains on to other devices connected to the same circuit

2. It most often happens within a minute after the computer starts to idle. This is repeatable and can be reproduced. All I have to do is let my computer sit idle for roughly 5-15 minutes and it shuts down as though there was a power failure and restarts. It happens every single time I let the computer sit idle while not on the lock screen. It does not restart while idling on the lock screen. I have had it happen three times while actively using the computer, but unlike with idling I'm not able to reproduce this at will.

3. Event viewer shows each restart as an error 41, kernel-power error. Below is the most recent event viewer log. All of the restarts appear identical to this log aside from the date and time, including the ones that occur while I'm actively using the system:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>6</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-08-16T07:13:07.225079500Z" />
<EventRecordID>1824</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>DESKTOP-K34FK4I</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
<Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
<Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>
<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">false</Data>
<Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Steps I have already taken to try and fix this with no improvement after attempting to troubleshoot this on my own using other user's tip who have reported similar issues:

1. I have checked for loose connections on my power supply and confirmed there is no overheating.

2. I have changed my power and sleep settings to never turn off the hard disk in the advanced power options window.

3. I have turned Link State Power Management off in the PCI Express section of advanced power options.

4. I have set my computer to never hibernate in the sleep section of advanced power options.

5. I have disabled the IMEI driver in device manager.

6. I have updated all of my audio and video drivers.

7. As per the known issues with 1903 on Microsoft.com, I have checked my registry for the following key, but it does not exist: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\Kerberos\MitRealms

I am, however, able to locate multiple keys at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\default\Kerberos.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Continue reading...