Motherboard failed on BIOS update. Will Windows 10 transfer to same MB replacement without re-activation problems?

F

Flak88

My older Asus P5K-SE v.1.0 motherboard died because of a failed BIOS update. It turned out the CMOS chip was marginal and didn't accept the newest BIOS upgrade (yes the battery was OK). If I find a same or similar Asus P5K-SE motherboard (might have to be different version or not SE) will my properly activated Windows 10 (1803) OS on the original drive and with other hardware installed in same slots work without needing re-activation? How wide are the hardware parameters? Must the MB be "exactly" same as old one or just close? If I must stay in the Asus P35 series shouldn't I try for the best of them?

For instance... besides my P5K-SE, I find there are many Asus P35 chipset boards, some with more features. P5K, P5KC, P5K-E, P5K-PRO, P5K-E/Wifi-AP, P5K-VM, P5L-MX, P5L-VM and a dozen others in the P5 series.

However, I'd be pretty happy to just get the PC running reliably again with a good used MB from eBay/Amazon or the local computer shop, so I just hope something will work.

Thank you!

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom