MS Office not working after Windows 10 update failed, and not able to rollback

S

S K Ray

Hi

I own a Lenovo Ideapad purchased Nov'18

Windows 10 Home Version 1803 OS Build 17134.885 (I am not sure if this is the original version, or the upgraded version)
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) N4000 CPU @1.10GHz, 1.10GHz
Installed Memory(RAM):4.00GB (3.83 Usable)
System Type: 64-bit operating system, x64 based processor

I was prompted to install updates. The update failed for a variery of resaons, afterwards MS Word and Excel not working, and not able to reinstall MS Word Excel. Practically unable to use laptop apart from browsing the internet or use of notepad.

Eventually after a number of restarts I was asked to put back the USB Drive for rollback - but rollback was not successful, the machine was hanging at restart forcing a reboot.

It could be my processor is not compatible with the update as Lenovo customer support (who advised they cannot assist further) provided this link

Windows update installtion problem:

I was asked to attach an external Drive with 10GB dispspace (I attached a USB Stick with about 13GB free) then I was asked to free up diskspace of over 3GB. That was about the usable space available in the laptop - but I backed up and deleted all my personal files.

After a number of attempts:

Windows needs space to update
Connect Device at least 10GB free
Exterrnal Storage D: Drive 11.3GB free attached.
Next, we will help you free up 562MB on the C Drive

Free upto 594MB on your PC (C Drive)
Emptied Recycle bin, downloads, documents folder, deleted also personal folders, cleared all browser cookies, and also deleted temp files as suggested in Storage Use.

This PC (C:) -29.1GB
23.5GB used, 5.5GB free
(If 5.5GB is free not sure why prompting to free upto 562MB, and I can see no opportunity to relieve diskapce because all files are pre-installed apart from Lenovo Bridge I installed yesterday in order to troubleshoot)

Systems&Reserved 18.0GB
Apps&Games 3.45GB
Temp files 1.66GB
Other 451MB
Mail 4.74MB
Maps 304KB
Desktop 20.0KB
Documents 8.0KB
Pictures, Music, Videos, Onedrive, Other People all 0 bytes.

Word/Excel:

1)Initially dbl click on Word or Excel file greying out screen and Explorer had to be closed, only way was to launch Word/Excel then File Open (existed before attempting to install updates)
2)Then could not copy Word/Excel document in Explorer - even when selected along with other filetypes. Greying out screen and Explorer had to be closed. (existed before attempting to install updates)
3)Tried Repair - this did not fix
4)Tried Reset - this disabled Word/Excel. Message - Application cannot be started Try reinstalling to fix problem
5)When trying reinstalling from Store - progressing from Starting to Download > Downloading Word 2016 > Completed then looping back to Starting to Download. Same with Excel.

6)Now when dbl click on Word or Excel - The application cannot be srated, try reinstalling the application to fix the problem.

Regards

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom