I just want to let Microsoft know that I absolutely HATE what they're doing

S

silvanet_1

Whether you agree with me or not, I want publicly say that Microsoft has crossed the line. I've spent nearly forty years using their products from the initial days of MS-DOS. I bought and used nearly every version of Windows - from its mere graphic shell for MS-DOS in version 1, through its development of something approaching an actual operating system in its 3 series, culminating in Windows for Workgroups, through 95, 98, 2000, XP, 7, and 10. I can remember the cheesy, Mickey Mouse communications settings back at their beginnings.

They have taken a new direction of cramming their desired configuration on almost everything, assuming the role of ultimate nanny.

What possible care should it be to Microsoft what one wants to name their user account? Now when you install Windows 10 Pro (as I just did), Microsoft takes away your choice to name your account whatever you should choose. I simply do not want my user account to reflect my actual legal name (as I use it to make credit card payments to Microsoft). If I should want to name my user account Raven, or whatever, why should it be of any interest whatsoever to Microsoft? That is, unless they're planning to create a stack of legal evidence they would immediately turn over on the request of law enforcement or government agency, without a warrant.

There simply is no legitimate business reason or purpose for that level of intrusion. I can still recall how they tried to bury Netscape when that company developed a better web browser. Microsoft did every anti-competitive thing they could maneuver to block users from turning to Netscape. How many of us have seen them ridiculously and unnecessarily take away features, or hide and bury them deep in the dungeons of the registry? Anyone can search the Internet to confirm the repeated and regular disasters caused by their updates. You can hardly do anything on Windows nowadays without running into an error message that you have to plod through fatuous tutorials and instructions that actually don't work before finally finding workable solutions that should have been clear from the start?

After every new installation you have to clean out all their garbage, advertisements, and automatic regression of settings changes it took you years to refine. They still insist on cramming and bundling their browser and sneaking it back even after you have deleted every shortcut and made sure you selected another as default. They continue shoving new "recommended" apps, making it near impossible to choose what you want. They've bundled in their apps store, blocking competitor products (for example, Google Maps). Once you have set up all your defaults, Microsoft will push an update that destroys all your work and reset their own **** without asking.

Sorry, no offense intended to all you MVPs, but you're trained to be apologists for Microsoft. On one had, many seeking help have not done any searching and the simplest instructions are appropriate, but a great many have already tried the standard Microsoft first steps and that's where they ran into the brick wall. They don't need a link to the basic...go to Settings, select option B, then option 3, and that's where you do what you want. Please read the questions. Maybe the reader already, for example, tried diskpart and went through all the steps of creating and formatting partitions, reading up on all the commands, and when they tried to install Windows, the wizard had insufficient information so they suddenly see an error saying they can't install on an EFI or GPT device...

If you have an extremely frustrating experience with Microsoft apparently making their operating system worse, please share.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom