List of Problems w WINDOWS 1903s "Update" / Audio Drivers + Default Apps Stopped+ Software Crashes

P

PrivateAuthority

Got any solutions anyone? My story. Windows 1903 FORCED UPDATE destroyed my ENTIRE DAY AND EVENING's work productivity! 20+ hours. Good luck using EDGE to look for "1903 Update News" - appears Microsoft EDGE / Bing censored negativity, suppressed plethora of 1903 news stories - sign of the times. Look yourself. Went to Chrome and searched under News tab for "1903 Windows Update" - plenty of coverage there.

1903 Update AFTERMATH Problems - Full extent unknown. Thus far the problems are:

1. Default apps no longer default apps. MS Word, for instance, would not load. Wordpad did! Required a repair. Others likely to be broken.
  2. 3rd party Software like, but not limited to (I assume), Audacity crashes: Memory errors, wxwidget errors, Host Audio Playback errors, error opening sound device, dll errors,
  3. AUDIO DRIVER Problems & Settings Altered. Tried unsuccessfully to update drivers at OEM HP's website and their site was "temporarily unvail" throughout the day!
  4. Input and output audio device problems
  5. Software components related to audio problems
  6. Permission errors
  7. Heavy CPU and memory usage
  8. Several hardware programs running doubles and triples in Task Manager. To get there: Ctrl Alt Delete

DIAGNOSTICS

I have run & continue running countless diagnostic tools - sick of it! No way would I pay HP for their costly "support." Been down that dead end before - support agent dummies more interested in closing the sale than getting educated on how to fix problems. On the positive side, when I contacted Microsoft (real support, not the scammers) this year after purchasing this new desktop - they were very helpful - and did not charge. So, if all else fails, will contact them tomorrow.

Check
Searched under "Device Manager" for "SOUND VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLERS," right clicked to "SCAN hardware changes," says nada, but under driver properties, and events, audio drivers show they were "updated" yesterday (when 1903 began it's unwelcome break in). An attempt to update within interface claims device is working fine. No. Manually pressing "Update Driver" does nada. Will head to OEM website, and scan for updates. Pending.

Potential Remedies: (will keep you posted)

1. Option#1
    OEM Scan for updates of audio and all other drivers pending.
  2. Option#2
    From a tech:

Boot into Safe Mode with or without networking and see if problems persist. Safe mode disables all but what is essential to running Windows. This may help troubleshoot the problem.
    You can also try either of these two options. If system restore was enabled and you have a restore point. You can try restoring your computer to a previous restore point when the computer was working fine.
    Option 2a
    Advanced Troubleshooting boot menu.
    Reset This PC option while in Windows 10 alternatively.
  3. Option#3
    Initiate fresh backups (will take hours) + System Restore. Roll back hopefully works without hiccups incl lost data? Another commentator says after the system restore, I should uninstall Chrome, too.

-------

Will keep all updated on potential solutions

--------

RANT
I consider myself pretty tech savvy. So I can only imagine the trouble everyday consumers are experiencing w 1903. WOW

I was in the middle of a video / audio production, and this 1903 update RUINED IT. Ruined workflow. Wasted my day and night.

I never gave permission to force the update - in fact, my settings forbade it. Yes. I heard news stories of the forced updates - that's why I looked under "Windows Updates" dashboard to check the status of the impending doom. Yep. Yesterday I discovered the automatic update was already initiated w / o my permission. Not happy Microsoft. Where should I send the bill for lost productivity?

If the answer is "you should be a premium paid subscriber" - you don't want to hear my reply. I refuse to pay for services I can manage myself. It ain't professional nor is the 1903 "UPDATE" I had not planned to update manually until there is a tech community consensus (one day) that Microsoft fixed all the 1903 problems.

Microsoft Feedback
Not interested in forcing bloatcrap, again, too onto the business or home computers I own. Also. Just like your competitors, you've intentionally made it way too difficult to find settings to REMOVE Bing /Edge as default browser, ad trackers and clearing my data. Defaults should be "do not track..." and all privacy settings should have hyperlinks on ONE PAGE - NOT countless pages - a maize. Amazing not.

-----

Are you having problems with your windows 1903 update? What happened?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom