Only PCs can't connect to 5GHz Wi-Fi - Windows 10 AC600

M

Maxiu1337

Current device: Asus X756UX-T4244T

Wi-Fi adapter: FRITZ! AC430 and TP-LINK Archer T2U AC600

Router: Unitymedia Connect Box

( All drivers updated )

Hey,

after seeing how big the speed difference between my 2.4GHz and 5GHz is I tried connecting every device with 5GHz. My iPad and S9 connect with 5GHz instantly without any problems. When I try to connect with any PC after about 5 seconds of loading my Wi-Fi adapter (AC 430) disconnects, then after like 3 seconds the adapter reconnects and it says "cannot connect to this network". Exact same thing with the other adapter and with other PCs.

Connecting to 2,4GHz is working 100% fine. When I use the same SSID for 2.4G and 5G it automatically connects to 2.4G even tho I have 5G as preferred in Windows.

I've really tried everything I could find already: Tried 2 different Wi-Fi adapters, they ALL support 5GHz and 802.11ac - Tried 3 different PCs (all Windows 10), reset my network settings, drivers, password is 100% correct, restarted router multiple times, tried all USB ports, changed SSID so 2.4G and 5G are not the same anymore, tried every channel < 50 and all Wi-Fi standards, checked all settings for the adapters + windows, disabled firewall, enabled high-performance mode on my notebook, unplugged everything....

This is very very weird because all my devices except PCs connect to 5GHz. When connecting with a PC the Wi-Fi adapter resets during the process and it fails to connect. It feels like they are being blocked by something. Since my 3 PCs don't connect and the process looks exactly the same (Adapters reset/disconnect while trying to connect) I'm sure it's not a software issue. On the other hand, it could be a raw Windows issue. The adapters are also brand new so they're not the problem. What's the difference between a mobile/iPad Wi-Fi card/adapter and a PC Wi-Fi card/adapter? Why can my mobile devices all connect to 5GHz but my PCs can't? Has anyone ever fixed or experienced this? What else could I try?

Thanks in advance

Continue reading...