Windows 10 doesn't boot after msconfig change.

D

DavidBaber

I cannot boot into the desktop. How do you reinstall without loosing the data / files?
My PC was originally a Windows 7 and then run the Windows 10 free upgrade when my notification popped-up. It's been working fine for years and currently in 1803 as 1903 keep failing to install.
I was doing a clean boot by selecting "Selective startup" by unchecking "Load startup items" box but left "use original boot configuration" checked in msconfig to see if this allows me to install 1093 upgrade without failing and now my PC doesn't boot saying Windows\System32\Winload.exe is missing and in the boot manager window only shows Windows 7 (but selecting that puts me back in the error screen. I created a USB with Media Creation. Boot and go to Troubleshooting. Running Fix startup issues it cannot fix anything after running the diagnosis. If I run Command Window I can see my disks / partitions / volumes even if the Tool changes the letter of my drives (e.g C: where <Windows>\system32\winload.exe show as G:) Run bootrec /fixmbr gave me successfully, but still same message / error.
Originally win7 was in a 1TB HDD (1 partition for OS, 2 partition for DATA, when I upgraded to Win10 i put it into a 128GB SDD (C:), use the HDD as storage (G:). I was running out of space so I added a bigger 256 SDD and cloning the first SDD into it so this was now my Windows10 installation (C:) and use the first as storage (F:) and this has been working like this for years. I am wondering if that "Use original boot configuration" is looking to the wrong place, but I have tried everything with no success. I am thinking reinstall is my only solution but now I'm facing a problem. What about the product key? there is no way to know it now.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom