How can I stop Windows from omitting/hiding the ending of folders that end in DOT something?

V

Vlad1mir

This has been an ongoing problem that is hindering my work. For the past few years this issue has come and gone at random. I do not know what is causing it. I have reinstalled Windows 10 multiple times (for various other reasons; not just because of this) and on different machines. This has always come and gone. I do not know why this is not discussed about more often as it is extremely annoying. Here is the issue:

Folder Name Example 1:

AppName_Version_7.77.998

In File Explorer, incorrectly looks like this:

AppName_Version_7.77

Or,

Folder Name Example 2:

Offline_Webpage_www.google.com

In File Explorer, incorrectly looks like this:

Offline_Webpage_www.google

As you can see, in both examples, the DOT something is omitted in File Explorer.It is extremely inconvenient and I have thousands of folders that end with DOT something. It is worth mentioning, the actual folder locations are not altered. It is only the names as they appear within File Explorer. It affects ALL or NONE and usually lasts for several days but will at some point magically fix itself. I have yet to find any correlations with anything I have done. There is very little information about this. It is hard to search for it. It's hard to find the correct words to Google for such a problem despite the fact I have seen this problem on multiple other people's computers.

Any ideas or fixes for this issue?

I am also open to suggestions for File Explorer alternatives, preferably something free and open source and actively developed.

Thank you.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom