Can't boot after Windows Update: dism /image:c:\ /remove-package produces error 14098 "The component store has been corrupted"

I

IamOneOfTheDamons

Hi there,

I'm attempting to recover a Windows 10 installation that borked during a Windows Update reboot. It's running as a Guest in a VirtualBox VM on MacOS, which kernel panicked during the Windows reboot.

Originally I received an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error, which I resolved by booting from installation media and from the command prompt performing:

bootrec /scanos​

bootrec /rebuildbcd​

bootrec /fixmbr​

Now I receive Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC. Examining the log file D:\Windows\System32\logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt everything is fine ("Result completed successfully") until it reports at the end:

Root cause found:​

---------------------------​

A recently serviced boot binary is corrupt.​

Repair action: Abort pending update installations​

Result: Failed. Error code = 0x3712​

Time taken = 9016 ms​

So I perform:

dism /image:D\ /get-packages​

and sure enough it lists a whole load of packages, some showing:

State: Install Pending​

However when I try to remove the last on the list this happens:

An error occured - Package_for_RollupFix Error: 0x80073712​

Error: 14098​

The component store has been corrupted.​

The DISM log file can be found at X:\windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log​

I also get a warning at the start of /get-packages:

The scratch directory size might be insufficient to perform this operation. This can cause unexpected behaviour.​

Use the /ScratchDir option to point to a folder with sufficient scratch space. The recommended size is at least 1024MB.​

However I've been unsuccessful getting the /ScratchDir option to produce anything other than an error.

Any help appreciated.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom