Font Installation and Use Problem in Windows 10

J

JazzboPotter

I have two computers with Windows 10 installed (one an upgrade from Windows 7, the other an original Windows 10 installation)

A new project requires the following OpenType fonts in TheSerifBlack font family:

TheSerifBlack-Caps

TheSerifBlack-CapsItalic

TheSerifBlack-Italic

TheSerifBlack-Plain

While the fonts install using the usual procedure for font installation in Windows 10 (right click on the font and select "install" from the dropbox menu), only two of the four fonts are available in InDesign. Here are some additional facts that may help narrow down the source of the problem:

1. If I go to the Fonts (either through the Fonts Control Panel or in the actual fonts directory [C:\Windows\Fonts]) only two are displayed, in the following order in the Font List: TheSerifBlack-Caps, then TheSerifBlack-CapsItalic

2. If I delete the first (leftmost in the horizontal listing), *then* TheSerifBlack-Plain font appears and is available in InDesign (but the "-Caps" font is now gone in the Windows Fonts listing and is unavailable in InDesign). Similarly, if I delete the second (rightmost in the horizontal listing), *then* TheSerifBlack-Italic font appears and is available in InDesign (but the "-CapsItalic" font is gone form the Windows Fonts listing and is now unavailable in InDesign).

3. Oddly, if I use a TrueType version of the font, *the same thing happens*. This suggests that perhaps the problem is that something about the *name* of the fonts (screen names are the same for both OTF and TTF versions) conflicts with some other fonts in my system.

All available updates for Windows 10 are installed.

Also, the direct cut-and-paste method for installing the font in the Windows Font folder (something some Windows users suggest as a solution to missing-fonts in a typeface family problems like mine) does not solve the problem.

I am at a loss how to proceed. I hope someone out there has a solution and await word back.

Desperate in Boulder,

JazzboPotter

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom